Costa Rica Day 4: Tuna-Tastic

Gone fishing, again! We were bubbling with anticipation as we ate breakfast at The Hookup before day two of fishing commenced. The sun was shining bright, which my father and I deeply appreciated.


Once we finished eating, we headed to Family and Friends and moved out to open water. After a long drive out, we cast our lines and began trolling once again. Unfortunately, we had an extremely slow morning. We would troll the water, see a tree or debris floating in the ocean, circle it and not find any fish. I spent a good part of the morning staring at the horizon waiting for a fish to bite. By noon, we still hadn’t caught a thing. We ate some Wahoo and chicken cordon blue with some fruit, rice and beans. Not too bad for being out in the middle of the ocean!

After lunch, we were energized and even more ready to catch some fish. We decided to head to another area, and after a bit of driving, the captain halted the boat. As I was half-heartedly getting up and out of the cabin, I heard someone holler, “There’s porpoises!” This is one of my favorite things to hear so I jumped up and went out to see for myself. What I found was not a few dolphins swimming together. There were at least one hundred porpoises splashing around, flipping and jumping through the air. This was the coolest thing I’ve ever seen and I had to stop myself from crying out of pure bliss.


When we discovered the dolphins, we knew there would be tuna near them. As soon as we dropped the line, we got a bite…and another one….and another one. It was the action we had been waiting for the whole trip. Between reeling in fish and capturing pictures and video of the dolphins, our boat was occupied and excited. I have never caught tuna before, so reeling one in was special for me. It’s comical because both the wahoo, which I wrote about in a precious post, and the first tuna I brought in were both not hooked in the mouth. The wahoo got caught by the hook in its side, while the tuna got hooked on its tail. This makes sense because tuna often kill or stun prey with their tails, so my tuna could have tried that on our live bait, and gotten hooked.



My dad was super stoked for me to reel a huge fish in,and even though I caught one tuna already, it wasn’t a difficult fight possibly because of the way it was hooked. My chance for another tuna came a few bites after my first, but unfortunately that one took my line. Luckily, I got one more chance and nailed it. The fish may not look that big, but I pulled in a 40-50 pound organism that could FIGHT. There were a few moments I didn’t think I would not be able to get it in, but with diligence, determination and some coaching from the crew, I reeled that bad boy in and boy was it beautiful.


My favorite part of the day occurred when we had a slab of tuna cut into sashimi for us to enjoy. The last time I had tuna right from the water was at least ten years ago. The fact that I caught the fish and was able to eat it just an hour later was so rewarding and tasty.


Speaking of tasty, I ate the most delightful dinner of my life Monday night. After we left the boat, we took some tuna over to El Galeon. They saw us pull up, they took our tuna and said they would have it ready for us. It was like a fancy drive through food drop-off!

It was pouring that night, and we were the only ones in the restaurant. The chef prepared us our freshly caught tuna as sashimi in two different ways, and then gave us each two tuna steaks prepared in two different ways. This may have been the best tuna I have ever consumed in my life, and I have eaten a lot of tuna! This may seem like a tuna overload for some, but I could eat tuna all day long. We were joking that I needed some tuna ice cream!

A slow morning turned into a tuna frenzy with good friends, delicious food and everlasting memories. I could not have asked for a more tuna-tastic day.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s